Monday, May 6, 2013

Topics of Interest

Part 1
Robotics, Computing, Artificial Intelligence
Honestly I’m fairly comfortable with this area, but still curious. I was on a robotics team in high school, and I’ve taken a class on AI; both of these things should help me get moving in these fields faster. Despite a basic technical knowledge of some of these things, I would say that I have a very limited understanding of any potential social implications that some of these things can have.
Media and Entertainment Industries
I have been known to call the head of many media companies idiots, for what seems to be an active attempt to make it difficult to pay for their content. It would be interesting to see if the industry as a whole is allergic to the contents of my wallet, or if there is something deeper that I am missing on the subject.
Education
I suppose my curiosity in education is also inspired by frustrating experiences, and again like the media industry this frustration is related to a poor handling of current technologies. Maybe I’m being narrow-minded, but I find it interesting to see how technology can fundamentally change some fields. In addition it would be interesting to research education during a time where many people are worried as the US is slipping in the global ranks.
Part 2
Robotics, Computing, Artificial Intelligence
This article talks about the improvement that was made on existing self driving car technology by Scientists from Oxford. It touches on what a future could be like if self driving cars were ubiquitous, specifically mentioning the potential for thousands of saved lives due to a decrease in car accidents. While this may show promise, I think that this type of technology is something that will be adopted at a slower pace than it can be advanced because many people will be uncomfortable.
Media and Entertainment Industries
The article comments on a quote from a director of Game of Throne, where it appears as if he claims that piracy can be beneficial because it can generate “cultural buzz”. I would say that I agree with what his opinion seems to be, and that furthermore piracy is unavoidable in almost every case.
Education
This article discusses the increasing resistance to standardized tests in the US. It mentions a several school districts that protest standardized tests that they are made to take as part of their high school education. I know that I have been hearing people assert that there are problems with standardized tests for years, but I didn’t expect for protests like this to happen. The potential consequences for skipping tests seems like it should deter most people, but that being said if there are people who do it their decision should not be taken lightly.


No comments:

Post a Comment